Adjustable Gastric Band
It is the insertion of a silicone band (lap-band) or inflatable belt placed in the higher part of the stomach, reducing its capacity and dividing it into two parts as an hour-glass, hence producing an early fullness sensation with the ingestion of little food. This procedure is performed by mini-invasive or laparoscopic surgery. There are 2 types of bands both approved by the FDA: the Inamed lapband, approved in 2001, and the Realize band- previously known as the Swedish lapband -, produced by Johnson & Johnson, and approved by the FDA in 2007. In Guatemala both types of lapband and laparoscopic surgeries are available.
This procedure is made by gastric endoscopy and does not need any surgery. It achieves its purpose of losing weight by giving the patient a fullness sensation produced by the balloon being filled with half a liter of saline serum. This procedure limits the capacity of stored food by filling a large part of the stomach.
(Medical term = Gastro-yeyunal bypass) This procedure consists in dividing the stomach in two parts, leaving a small gastric pouch with a maximum capacity of 50 ml. and making a connection between the stomach and the small intestine, by the use of titanium staples. This procedure combines a restrictive technique with one of intestinal non-absorption, which produces excellent results in terms of weight loss. It is ideal for patients who are compulsively addicted to sweets or sweet meals. In Guatemala the gastric bypass can be performed by laparoscopic or open surgery. For the weight loss to be permanent, a post-surgery diet is necessary.
Mini-invasive or laparoscopic bilepancreatic diversion, with or without duodenal switch. This procedure consists in severing more than 50% of the stomach, leaving a direct connection from the remaining stomach to the end of the small intestine (ileum end), bypassing the duodenum and jejunum. This procedure is specially designed for patients with excessive obesity, for whom a gastro-yeyunal bypass would not be successful.
This is a restrictive procedure, performed by laparoscopic surgery, which consists in severing 70% of the stomach, leaving the remaining 30% in a form similar to a sleeve or cylinder, which notably reduces the stomach storage capacity, without altering the absorption of nutrients. This weight-loss procedure permanently reduces the size of the stomach and is not reversible.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________The text and images contained in Medical Tourism Guatemala’s website are for informational purposes only. Its content is not intended to substitute the medical diagnosis or treatment from board certified MD Specialists. Always seek advice from your physician with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment. Medical Tourism Guatemala does not warrant that the information provided is complete, accurate or up to date. Medical Tourism Guatemala‘s website does not provide medical advice.