Dr. F. Montufar
- Graduated as MD & Surgeon in 1992 from San Carlos University, Guatemala City (7 years of studies, 1 year of residence)
- 4 years of Postgraduate studies and practice to become General Surgeon
- 4 years of Specialization and practice in Monterrey, Mexico-City, Weston (Florida) and Berne (Switzerland)
Board certified as the following Specialist:
- Laparoscopic surgeon
- Interventional endoscopist
- Gastrointestinal manometrist
- Bariatric surgeon
Dr. Montufar is a pioneer in Bariatric and Laparoscopic Surgery in Central America:
- Dr Montufar is the first surgeon in having accomplished a complete training in Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery in Central America
- October 1999: Dr Montufar with Dr Javier de la Garza (Mex.) performed the first five adjustable gastric bands to treat obesity by laparoscopy
- January 2000: Dr. Montufar performs the first laparoscopic gastric-jejunum Bypass in Hospital Bella Aurora (currently private Hospital Las Americas) Guatemala City
- 2001: Dr. Montufar carries out the first training course in adjusting the Swedish Gastric Band for general surgeons at Military Hospital in Guatemala
- 2002: Dr Montufar organizes the first multi-disciplinary course in Gastroesophageal reflux for Surgeons of Central America
- 2003: Dr Montufar performs together with Dr Estuardo Behrens, the first International Course to train U.S. doctors in fitting the Swedish adjustable gastric band (sponsored by Johnson & Johnson)
- 2003: Dr Montufar – together with Dr. Estuardo Behrens – organizes the first medical journey to treat obesity with adjustable gastric band for low-income patients. This activity has further evolved into a tradition in Guatemala, and has taken place each year since. Up till now, more than 1000 low income patients – coming from different countries of Central America – have benefited from it.
- November 2003: Dr Montufar performs in Guatemala the first eight Endocinch procedures (intraluminal endoscopic stitch of the esophageal gastric union) as an endoscopic treatment for gastro-esophageal reflux. On that occasion he was accompanied by Dr. Santiago Gallo (México) and Dr.Oscar Bulgin (Panama). Dr. Fernando Montufar pioneered the intraluminic endoscopic treatment for Reflux in Guatemala and in Central America
- June 2008: Dr. Montufar performs the first cholecystectomy with neodymium magnets, together with its technical inventor, Argentine Surgeon Dr. Gustavo Dominguez
- June 2008: Dr. Montufar together with Dr. Estuardo Behrens and Dr. Almino Ramos (from Brazil) was the first one for the Central American and Caribbean Region to perform the NOTES vaginal cholecystectomy (*)
- Dr. Montufar has had over 15 years of private practice in Guatemala City. Physicians´s license number: 8.752
Dr. Montufar is affiliated with the following Medical Associations:
- Active member of the College of Doctors and Surgeons of Guatemala
- Active member of the Surgeon´s Association of Guatemala
- Active member of the Mexican Association of Laparoscopic Surgery
- Active member of the Latin American Association of Endoscopic Surgery
- Active member of SAGES (Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons).
- International Member of the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE)
- Active member of the Mexican Association of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Active member of the International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Active member of the American Association of Bariatric Surgery (ASBS)
- Active member of the International Federation for Obesity Surgery (IFSO)
- Active member of the American Association of Gastrointestinal Motility
- Founding member of the Guatemalan Chapter of the Mexican Association of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Founding member of the Guatemalan Association for Endoscopy, Motility and Gastrointestinal intervention.
- Founding member of the Guatemalan Association for Ambulant Surgery
- Founding member of the Guatemalan Association for Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery
- Member of the Clinical & Applied Nutrition Association in Guatemala
(*) NOTES = Natural orifice translumenal endoscopic surgery whereby “scarless” abdominal operations can be performed with an endoscope passed through a natural orifice (mouth, urethra, anus, etc.) then through an internal incision in the stomach, vagina, bladder or colon, thus avoiding any external incisions or scars.
The text and images contained in Medical Tourism Guatemala’s website are for informational purposes only. Its content is not intended to substitute the medical diagnosis or treatment from board certified MD Specialists. Always seek advice from your physician with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment. Medical Tourism Guatemala does not warrant that the information provided is complete, accurate or up to date. Medical Tourism Guatemala‘s website does not provide medical advice.